Memorial Weekend is upon us, which unofficially signals the start of summer vacation season. While gas prices have been rising (SO annoying) which may keep many at home, a road trip in the car can still be a cheaper get-away than flying somewhere. Plus, on a road trip you're just tied to your own schedule, and can stop and go whenever and where ever you want.
To make your trip as smooth as possible, here are some prep tips:
- Pack an emergency kit: jumper cables, first-aid kit, flashlight with extra batteries, road flares or reflective triangles, a fleece blanket, bottled water, and some protein bars.
- Stay charged: don't forget your universal car charger. You know how helpless you feel when you don't have your phone.
- Get Real-Time traffic updates: Download the Waze GPS app (free), and it will give you directions as well as notify and re-route you if there are traffic tie-ups ahead.
- Map your route and stops: Use the Roadtrippers app (free) to plot and save a route that hits all the sights you want to see. You can also use it to discover local favorites restaurants and hotels en route.
- Gas-station finder: GasBuddy app (free) helps you find gas stations near you or along your route, and shows you the price per gallon. You can also type in your origin and destination and it will estimate how much you will spend on gas for your entire trip.
- Do a vehicle check: test the tire air pressure, top off the oil, coolant and wiper fluid, check that you have a spare and its inflated, you have a jack and a lug wrench.
- Confirm you have important documents: Registration, insurance and license, roadside assistance membership, health insurance cards.
Have a great weekend, whatever you do, and be safe!!